This easy (paleo) side salad pairs great with any protein, and only requires 4 ingredients!Hello everyone! I’m sharing one of my recipes that I make all of the time but never thought it was special enough to be posted on the blog, until I realized that these are the kinds of recipes that I actually make and eat all of the time, and so you may start too! When I first started my blog, I was posting all sorts of random recipes that I would test out and love, but never make again. This salad is not one of those.I love kale because it’s one of the only greens that can be dressed well ahead of time. It actually tastes better if you massage the kale with the dressing and let it sit for a while. Kale on it’s own is quite bitter and rough, but if you really give it several good hand squeezes with whatever dressing you use – it’s an entirely different vegetable. Kind of like brussels sprouts – when people discovered that roasting them made them sweet and crunchy – they suddenly became the coolest vegetable around!
I brought this salad to a friend’s place where she was making homemade gnocchi and we were watching the debate. It was a lively crowd and the salad was a hit – everyone wanted the recipe so here you go! Hope you all have a wonderful week, and see you back on Friday for a post on how I overcame feeling like I needed to “detox” every Monday.
- 6 cups curly kale, torn into small pieces
- ½ ripe avocado, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Put the kale in a large mixing bowl, and pour the olive oil and place the diced avocado on top
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the ingredients, and sprinkle salt and pepper all over to taste
- Using clean hands, start breaking apart the avocado and massaging it into the kale. Massaging kale is like giving it hearty squeezes over and over again until it starts to break down and is slightly limp
- Serve immediately, or keep in the fridge for up to 12 hours!
If you like this, you’ll love: Baked Lemon Garlic Tofu and Kale Salad (uses tahini instead of avocado for the dressing and massage!)